Our 21-day prayer & fasting will be January 7th – 27th.
What is Fasting?
● Biblical fasting is abstaining from food and/or drink for a period of time to focus on spiritual growth.
● Too often, the focus of fasting is on the lack of food; however, fasting is not intended to punish our flesh, but to focus on God.
● Fasting should not be considered a “dieting method” either. We shouldn’t fast to lose weight, but rather to gain deeper fellowship with God.
Why should I Fast?
● To draw closer to God.
● To seek His will and direction for our lives.
● To reduce our dependency on natural things while increasing on dependency on God.
● To gain insight concerning important decisions in our lives as the disciples in the Book of Acts did.
● To gain strength to resist sin and temptations that we fight against.
● To receive a spiritual, physical or financial breakthrough.
● To see God bring deliverance, breakthrough and restoration to others.
How do I Fast?
● If you have any health issues, first consult your physician before starting any fast.
● Ask God to direct you on what you should give up so you can fully focus on Him.
● Ask the Holy Spirit show you what He wants to accomplish during your fast.
● Make a commitment before God.
● Ask for His strength to stay the course and complete your fast.
● Ask Jesus to remove any potential roadblocks that could through you off course and derail your fast.
● Make sure that you just don’t just focus on giving up food but on connecting with God on a deeper level through prayer & worship.
● Be sure to read and meditate on God’s word during this time of fasting and prayer. Click HERE for our reading plan.
● Take time to get quiet and listen to what He is telling you.
● Keep a pad and pen handy to write down any direction, insight, or wisdom the Lord may share with you.
● Expect God to touch you, cleanse you, heal you and change you, so He can use you to minister to others when your fast is over.
Types of Fast’s?
● There are numerous types of fasts but we will be focusing on the Daniel Fast.
Guidelines for the Daniel Fast:
● In Daniel 1 the Prophet ate only vegetables (that would have included fruits) and drank only water and in Daniel 10 the Prophet ate no meat or any precious breads and he drank no wine. So from these scriptures we get the guidelines for this fast:
1. Eat only fruits and vegetables
2. Eat no sweets/sweeteners or bread
3. Drink only water
● No artificial or processed foods or chemicals are allowed on the Daniel Fast.
Acceptable To Eat & Drink
All fruits: These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Fruits include but are not limited to apples, apricots, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, cantaloupe, cherries, cranberries, figs, grapefruit, grapes, guava, honeydew melon, kiwi, lemons, limes, mangoes, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, pineapples, plums, prunes, raisins, raspberries, strawberries, tangelos, tangerines and watermelon.
All vegetables: These can be fresh, frozen, dried, juiced or canned. Vegetables include but are not limited to artichokes, asparagus, beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chili peppers, collard greens, corn, cucumbers, eggplant, garlic, ginger root, kale, leeks, lettuce, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, onions, parsley, potatoes, radishes, rutabagas, scallions, spinach, sprouts, squashes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, watercress, yams and zucchini.
All whole grains: Including but not limited to whole wheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, oats, barley, grits, whole-wheat pasta, whole wheat tortillas, rice cakes and popcorn.
All nuts and seeds: Including but not limited to sunflower seeds, cashews, peanuts, sesame seeds and peanut butter.
All legumes: These can be canned or dried. Legumes include but are not limited to dried beans, pinto beans, split peas, lentils, black eyed peas, kidney beans, black beans, cannelloni beans and white beans.
All quality oils: Including but not limited to olive, canola, grape seed, peanut and sesame.
Beverages: Spring water, distilled water or other pure waters.
Other: tofu, soy products, vinegar, seasonings, salt, herbs and spices.
Unacceptable To Eat & Drink
All meat and animal products: Including but not limited to beef, lamb, pork, poultry and fish.
All dairy products: Including but not limited to milk, cheese, cream, butter and eggs.
All sweeteners: Including but not limited to sugar, raw sugar, honey, syrups, molasses and cane juice.
All leavened bread: Including Ezekiel Bread (it contains yeast and honey) and baked goods.
All refined and processed food products: Including but not limited to artificial flavorings, food additives, chemicals, white rice, white flour and foods that contain artificial preservatives.
All deep fried foods: Including but not limited to potato chips, french fries and corn chips.
All solid fats: Including shortening, margarine, lard and foods high in fat.
Anything other than water: Including but not limited to coffee, tea, herbal teas, carbonated beverages, energy drinks and alcohol.
A couple of Bible Scriptures for personal study on Fasting
● Isaiah 58:6-14
● Matthew 6:16-18